Policy on Security of Personal Information
At Waseda University (hereafter to be referred to as “this university”), the protection of personal information is recognized as a fundamental right that has its origins in the integrity of the human personality.The Personal Information Security Ruleswere established in May 1995, and these provided for the strict handling of personal information. Since April 1, 2005, the Law Regarding the Protection of Private Information (Private Information Protection Law) has been fully enforced. This university has continuously complied with this law and works to properly manage and protect personal information
1. Collection and Use of Personal InformationPersonal information refers to information that identifies specific individuals, such as students, guarantors, faculty and staff, or that has the possibility of doing so. At this university, it’s collection is restricted to only that recognized as necessary for educational research, student support, and university management, as defined below. In addition, when it is necessary, the university contacts students and guarantors based on the personal information collected.
Reasons for Collecting Personal Information
- Management of school registration, changes in school registration, health management, scholarship management;
- Course registration, grade management and course management;
- Information management related to postgraduate activities, advancing within a school and changing schools at the undergraduate and graduate school levels within the university;
- Issuing student identification cards and various other certificates;
- Managing scholarship information and account information;
- Supporting for extracurricular activities and student life;
- Managing and creating employment information;
- Managing the use of equipment and facilities within the university, managing visual information acquired through the security cameras;
- Managing the use of the library;
- Sending grade reports and academic records to the guarantors;
- Consulting with guarantors about course registration and academic records;
- Producing public relations magazines for the university and the school, guides for events and fundraising activities;
- Sending out various guides and information following graduation;
- Providing information to universities based on a Science and Technology Exchange Agreement;
- Providing necessary information to the Waseda University Student Health Insurance Union (chief administrator: office manager of student division);
- Providing necessary information to the Waseda University Alumni Association (chief administrator: president of this university);
- Providing necessary information to academic organizations (chief administrator: dean of each school) which are comprised of students and instructors in graduate and undergraduate courses at this university;
- Providing necessary information to the teachers’ union in order to promote public funding for schools.
2. Secure Management of Personal InformationAlong with strict management of personal information so that it is not used improperly, lost, damaged, falsified or leaked, this university engages in the training of employees (faculty and staff) who handle personal information and those are in charge of this university’s other affairs.
3. Providing Information to Third PartiesThis university does not provide personal information to third parties without the consent of the principal party in question. However, information may be provided without the consent of the principal party under the exception established by law (Private Information Protection Law, Article 23rd, clauses 1-4)
4. About outsourcingWe may outsource all or part of our work, such as the sending of various types of mail from the University and the inputting of data. In such cases, we oblige the outsourced company to manage the personal information in a necessary and appropriate manner through contracts, etc., to prevent leakage, outflow, unauthorized use.
5. Corrections and Disclosure of Personal InformationStudents and guarantors can request the disclosure and correction of their own personal information through the individual institution managing that information, such as the school or institute with which s/he is affiliated.
Please direct any questions regarding the protection of personal information at Waseda University to the following organization:Office of the Personal Information Protection Committee (Department of Educational Affairs, Educational Affairs Section) 1-104 Totsuka-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8050 [Telephone: 03-3204-2253 ][E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org]